Be sure and check out our GIVEAWAY while you're here.
Hello lovely readers! Today Justina Thompson from Red Coral Fertility shares here thoughts with us on why women are Ditching the Pill and switching to the Fertility Awareness Method:
Have you ever felt like the birth control pill is the only good option despite feeling like a different person while taking it? Or maybe you gained a puzzling amount of weight post partum only to realize your mini-pill was the culprit?
You are not alone.
According to a study published in Contraception, 47% of women discontinue use of oral contraceptive pills within the first year of use. (1) The top reasons cited include emotional side effects like depression, worsening of PMS, and a vanished sex drive. Additionally, abnormal weight gain is one of the most reported side effects by women taking the mini-pill after giving birth. Hormonal birth control introduces artificial hormones into the body to prevent pregnancy (and/or to treat reproductive health). (2) All hormonal contraceptives contain artificial versions of our natural hormones and work to overpower our natural cycles. Included in this category are not only oral pills, but also all hormonal devices like the patch, ring, shot, implant, and the hormonal IUD. For brevity, the remainder of the information will reference all hormonal birth control with the term “the Pill.”
The body does not know what to do with artificial hormones in the body and as a result the endocrine system is impacted and side effects surface. In addition to the side effects listed above, the Pill increases the risk for blood clots, strokes, heart disease, infertility, severe nutrient depletion, glaucoma and cancer of the liver, breasts, and cervix. (
Personally, the negative experience I had with taking the Pill, like most women, was not obvious for quite some time. As months passed, I thought my emotional and physical descent were “just a phase” or proof that “I wasn't trying hard enough.” I’m not the only one. More and more women are speaking up boldly about the side effects and health problems they encountered while using the Pill. Author and researcher Holly Grigg-Spall recently wrote the book Sweetening the Pill: How We Got Hooked on Birth Control and explains her story to The Independent in an article called: “Why I’ll Never Take the Pill Again.” In the last year, many other bold women have shared their experience and research. Here are a few of their testimonies:
- 5 Things I Learned When I Stopped Taking the Pill
- Is the Birth Control Pill Worth It?
- 5 Reasons I’ll Never Take Another Birth Control Pill
- Everything You Need to Know About the Pill
Yes the Pill sucks, but Is It The Only Good Option?
One of the most popular being the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM). Human Reproduction published a research study proving that FAM is over 99% effective in preventing pregnancy when used correctly, which is as effective as oral contraceptives. (5)
What is FAM?
- FAM is based on the observation and charting of two scientifically proven fertility signs that determine whether or not a woman is fertile (capable of getting pregnant) on any given day.
- FAM is NOT the rhythm method previous generations used. The rhythm method predicts when a woman will ovulate and is therefore ineffective, but FAM is based on daily observation ofa woman’s two fertility signs:Cervical Fluid (CF) and Basal Body Temperature (BBT).
Unfortunately, these fertility signs are not something we learn about in sex and health education class. However, women who take a workshop from a qualified teacher learn the facts and develop confidence to practice FAM effectively and accurately.
What to Rely on After Pregnancy?
What about those taking the Pill to Treat Symptoms?
Much of the alternative realm of health care approaches the imbalance of a female's hormones in a holistic way. Instead of pumping artificial hormones into the body to treat the symptoms of irregular cycles, natural health care practitioners look at the whole person and seek the underlying cause. That way, a woman can begin taking steps to heal the actual problem with natural therapies and can be on her way to maintaining healthy cycles, periods, and fertility. Learning to chart with FAM is a wonderful first step in the journey of taking back control of your health so that feeling great and vibrant is your new norm!
The Top 5 Reasons Women are Ditching the Pill for FAM:
- It Works. FAM is over 99% effective in preventing pregnancy when used correctly. Take a workshop to learn the facts while developing the confidence to use FAM most effectively.
- No Side Effects. Not only is FAM over 99% effective in preventing pregnancy, it’s also 100% natural meaning no artificial hormones and no side effects.
- Cost Free. Beyond the one time class fee and an inexpensive thermometer, FAM is a no cost birth control! (Prescription birth controls can cost up to $1,600 per year).
- Body Knowledge. Being a woman can feel like a mystery, but not anymore. Learning in depth info about the female cycle including hormones, energy, and emotions deepens a woman’s self awareness on a whole new level.
- Empowerment=Confidence. Knowing one’s body on a deeper level empowers a woman to have greater confidence in all areas of life: work, relationships, self-image, sex, and health.
1. Sanders, SA, Graham, CA, Bass, JL, & Bancroft, J. (2001). A prospective study of the effects of oral contraceptives on sexuality and well-being and their relationship to discontinuation. Contraception, 64(1), 51-58. Retrieved from URL.2. Norethindrone Related Abnormal Weight Gain. (2012). DrugInformer, by aculus, LLC. Retrieved from URL.
3. Bennett, J & Pope, A. (2008). The Pill: Are You Sure It’s Right For You? Austrailia. Allen & Unwin.
4. Grant, E. (1985). The Bitter Pill: How Safe is the Perfect Contraception? Elm Tree Books.
5. Frank-Herrmann, P., Heil, J., Gnoth, C., Toledo, E., Baur, S., Pyper…Freundl, G. (2007). The effectiveness of a fertility awareness based method to avoid pregnancy in relation to a couple's sexual behaviour during the fertile time: a prospective longitudinal study. Human Reproduction, (22)5, 1310-1319. Retrieved from URL.
Wanting to learn more about FAM? Here are a few books I would highly recommend checking out:
|See it on Amazon.|
|See it on Amazon.|
|See it on Amazon.|
|See it on Amazon.|
Cycle Savvy: The Smart Teen's Guide to the Mysteries of Her Body by Toni Weschler. Teenage girls have so many questions about their bodies that go completely ignored. This books helps them understand what is happening with their bodies in a fun and informative way.
(Note: this post contains affiliate links. Meaning if you shop on Amazon after clicking on one and shop, you are helping support my blogging endeavors. Thank you!)
This post shared at: Wildcrafting Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Home-Making Link-Up, Wellness Wednesday, Real-Food Wednesdays, Works for Me Wednesday, Penny Pinching Party, The Mommy Club, Wake Up Wednesday, Get Inspired, Wordless Wednesday, Linkn Blogs