Dutch Baby with Soaked Whole Wheat Flour



Growing up, my dad used to make Finnish Pancake for breakfast and we would eat it with sour cream and canned peaches. It was an absolute favorite of mine. Of course, that recipe was loaded with sugar and white flour... not that I am totally opposed to those things, just not something I try and have on a regular basis. So, I was delighted when I found a recipe for a Dutch Baby Pancake that used soaked whole wheat. 

I adore making this for breakfast on the weekends. It needs to soak for around 12-24 hours so I typically start it on Friday night. The extra thought that goes into preparing this recipe is well worth it. I smother mine with yogurt, crispy nuts, maple syrup, homemade jam, applesauce, peaches, whatever... any way you eat it it tastes good. If there is any leftover it reheats great in the toaster oven. 

My recipe is a slight variation from the one found in Nourishing Traditions. 

Dutch Baby with Soaked Whole Wheat Flour


You Will Need:

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup whole milk yogurt (if you have milk allergies you can substitute 2 cups water plus 2 tbs lemon juice or vinegar)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1/2 cup raw milk (or water if you have milk allergies)
2 tablespoons butter
Cast Iron skillet

Soak flour in butter milk for 12-24 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place eggs in blender and blend for a full minute. Add in flour mixture, vanilla, milk and salt. Process another minute. Place 2 tablespoons butter in skillet and place in oven until melts and sizzles. Pour in batter. Bake until pancake is puffed and browned (approximately 30 minutes). Serve hot with toppings of your choice (e.g. butter, maple syrup, peaches, applesauce, crispy nuts, etc...). Enjoy!

Directions with Pictures:

Soak flour in butter milk for 12-24 hours. 



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place eggs in blender and blend for a full minute. 


Add in flour mixture, vanilla, milk and salt. Process another minute. Place 2 tablespoons butter in skillet and place in oven until melts and sizzles. 


Pour in batter. 


Bake until pancake is puffed and browned (approximately 30 minutes). 


Serve hot with toppings of your choice (e.g. butter, maple syrup, peaches, applesauce, crispy nuts, etc...). Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome! I am really enjoying looking thru your recipes on this blog, I plan on giving myself a whole foods challenge for 30 days, and trying to stockpile as many recipes as I can beforehand.

    Quick question- the ingredients list "yogurt" but then the instructions say to soak the flour in buttermilk- which is it?

    Also what size skillet would work best?

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me oh so happy! Feel free to comment away. I'd love to hear what's on your mind